Gardner Stumbles Out of Starting Gate as He Faces Tough, Long General Election
New Poll Shows Gardner Down Double-Digits to Hickenlooper
Denver, CO – Senator Cory Gardner stumbled through the first day of the general election, dodging reporter questions on critical issues like health care, reproductive rights, and his allegiance to President Trump and a new poll emerged showing his reelection chances are grim.
Here’s a recap of Gardner’s face-plant out of the starting gate:
- DISASTER CPR INTERVIEW: In Gardner’s first radio interview of the general election, he refused to answer simple yes-or-no questions and own his record, and instead did what he does best: duck, dodge, and weave.
- GARDNER DODGES QUESTIONS ON ACA REPEAL *SIX* TIMES: Gardner dodged six separate questions about the Trump Administration-backed lawsuit to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), even though Gardner previously said he believes the ACA is “unconstitutional” and has crusaded against the life-saving law, voting at least 13 times to repeal, gut, or defund the ACA — putting protections for 2.4 million Coloradans in jeopardy and threatening to rip care away from an estimated 470,000 Coloradans.
- GARDNER WON’T SAY IF TRUMP HAS DONE ANYTHING TO LOSE HIS SUPPORT: Despite a botched coronavirus response and retweeting a racist video showing a supporter yelling “white power” — just to name this week’s controversies — Gardner refuses to say if Trump has done anything to lose his endorsement.
- GARDNER SILENT ON ANTI-PUBLIC LANDS ZEALOT TO LEAD BLM: Gardner refused to disavow William Perry Pendley to lead the Bureau of Land Management, despite Pendley’s staunch opposition to public lands and long history of climate science denial and xenophobia. This appointment comes as Gardner is working to greenwash his record of “supporting Trump and his anti-conservation agenda at seemingly every turn” and earning an abysmal 11% lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters.
- GARDNER REFUSES TO HOLD TRUMP ACCOUNTABLE ON RUSSIAN BOUNTIES: While reports reveal that the White House knew that Russia was offering bounties in Afghanistan for targeting U.S. troops as early as 2019, Gardner refuses to hold Trump accountable for his failure to act, even when American lives were threatened.
Yes, that was all in a single interview. No wonder No Comment Cory avoids the press.
- *ANOTHER* POLL SHOWS GARDNER UNDERWATER BY DOUBLE DIGITS: A new poll shows Gardner is underwater by double digits heading into the general election, including trailing by 19 points among crucial unaffiliated voters, the plurality of voters in the state. With Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s popularity underwater 26 points and Trump’s abysmal approval rating of 39%, Gardner’s allegiance to his party bosses — being with Trump “100%” and serving as “Mitch McConnell’s right-hand man” — paints a grim picture for his future.
- GARDNER CONTINUES TO ATTACK REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS, DECEIVE COLORADANS ON HIS ANTI-CHOICE POSITION: While Gardner proclaimed he is anti-choice — a position out of step with the majority of Coloradans — in a post-primary interview, he once again dodged the question at hand and refused to say if he supported the rigid 22-week abortion ban ballot initiative promoted by the Colorado Republican Party. Gardner “dishonestly tried to assure Colorado voters in 2014 that, if elected, he would not permit erosion of women’s reproductive rights,” but has a long record of trying to put politicians between patients and their doctors.
- DOES GARDNER SUPPORT HIS BALLOT-MATE & QANON CONSPIRACY THEORY ENTHUSIAST LAUREN BOEBERT?: Lauren Boebert, the QAnon conspiracy theory enthusiast, will appear as the Republican’s CO-03 candidate alongside Gardner on the ballot, but the vulnerable Senator has yet to endorse his Republican colleague. Boebert, who upset five-term incumbent Congressman Scott Tipton, has been the center of controversy after she broke state law, then defied a cease and desist order to close her gun-toting restaurant during the coronavirus pandemic. Gardner hasn’t commented on her candidacy yet, but did make a point to stop by her restaurant last fall:
- DESPERATE, AND MISTAKEN-RIDDLED, “CONSULTANT” MEMO: Hours before the polls closed, Gardner put out a “memo” desperately trying to spin reporters that his campaign wasn’t already a lost cause. The memo is riddled with errors, fantasy predictions, and a heavy spin that would make even Gardner dizzy — Gardner even inflated his narrow margin of victory in 2014. Yikes.